Thursday, June 11, 2009

Communication


Do you ever just wish you could have back the time you wasted being mad about something that did not deserve any of your time, energy or anxiety?

Today I was mad at my dear husband because our 22 year old son, home from college and heading to his job, told me that hubby had plans for the afternoon/evening. I don't really like to hear about schedules through the kids and we had been working on clear communicating of the schedule as the hectic summer begins. SOOOO I was mad, then when I asked for an explanation, ready for a fuss, it turned out to not really true. Actually not accurate message delivery at all.

I should not be surprised. Didn't lots of us play 'Chinese telephone' as kids? I suppose it is not ethically sensitive now to call that game by its original name, but maybe you remember how it worked. Stand in a circle, one kid whispers a message to another all the way around. At the end of the circle the message was NEVER (that I remember) the same as it began. We laughed and laughed and tried again.

Well I laughed today at the inaccurate message delivery at my house, but it did make me wonder. How many stories do I hear that really are not quite right, quite true, quite off the mark? I want to ask questions, do some checking, laugh at the errors while NOT wasting time being upset. Digging deeper for the true message might take a bit longer, but it is sure worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment