I read these quotes today. Maybe you have seen them before, but it was fun to see them on a Kenyan pastor's blog. He was challenging his congregation to put their hope in a limitless God. In Germantown Wisconsin I needed that reminder too.
- ‘Airplanes are toys of no military value’ Ferdinand Foch, 1851-1929, French soldier and professor of military strategy
- ‘The mission Columbus has proposed is folly… the Atlantic Ocean is infinite and impossible to travel’ Talevera Commission, 1491
- There is no need for the Patent Office. Everything that could be invented has been invented’ – Head of the US Patent Office in the 1890’s
- ‘Who wants to hear actor’s talk?’ H.M. Warner, 1881-1958 regarding the possibility of talking movies replacing silent movies
- ‘We have reached the limits of what is possible to achieve with computer technology’ – John Von Neumann, in 1959
When the apostle Paul wrote a letter to believers in Phillipi during the 1st century, he included the often quoted ,"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". What I find fascinating is that he had spent lots of time telling the Christ followers of his troubles, the ups and downs of his crazy, very not-boring life. Stretched beyond limits, we then find the quiet words to say Jesus is enough, He is our strength, He is present in it all. Unlimited Holy God, I want to know this to be true in my life.