Friday, June 19, 2009

Old Friends


Yes, Old. As in lived a long time, almost ancient. Or maybe it is just that we have known each other so very long that our children have grown up together and think we are elderly.

One of those kids is marrying the end of July. And tomorrow we will gather the ladies to give the new bride a wedding shower. Gifts, stories, advice and prayer. It brings back memories of those younger days when we prayed for this baby boy (the groom-to-be) while his mom was expecting him and on bed rest. Our friendships began before the children arrived and we have ridden the roller coaster of parenting together. Old friends.

Years ago I found a birthday card that said, "you know we are old because I can remember when your couch was new".
I know we are old because my husband did the wedding ceremony for the new bride's parents!

And now Jan has come from her life in Kenya just for 3 months and will give the shower at her home in Wisconsin with me. When I met Jan, we had been married for about 2 weeks. It will be 31 years ago soon. Across the miles, across the years, across the canyons of life I have been learning about faithful, precious friendship. What joy to find time on a Saturday to laugh and open gifts and speak of God's faithfulness in our lives. I hope also to find time for a hug and heartfelt thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment